It is this time of the year where many companies are delivering their new business plans for 2018, wondering how ensure the growth they are expected to deliver is actually delivered.
How to achieve this? Be SMART!
While the overall plan may set strategic goals, it is important use SMART objectives or targets, i.e. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely. SMART is an effective tool that provides the clarity, focus and motivation needed to achieve goals. It can also improve the ability to reach them by defining objectives and set a completion date. SMART goals are also easy to use by anyone, anywhere, without the need for specialist tools or training.
See our example of a SMART goal.
Main Goal: I want to grow my business.
- Specific: I will acquire three new projects.
- Measurable: I will measure my progress by how many new projects I get, while maintaining my current client base.
- Attainable: I will use marketing communications tools to communicate with my prospects and let them know we have capacity
- Relevant: New projects will support my growth
- Time-Based: I will have three new projects by the end of 2018.
How about your resources?
When you are reviewing your business plan to cover the next stages, it’s important to be clear on how you will allocate your resources to make your strategy work. Allocating resources throughout a business is an important part of every business plan. It allows the objectives set in the plan can to be met.
Sometimes, an ambitious target might mean, your resources need some external help. Outsourcing can be a big decision, but can offer benefits that far outweigh employing somebody, or a team in house. Outsourcing can also help you be smart with your time and spend it on delivering your 2018 success!
Need help with your business plan or building your sales and marketing strategy? Ask the consultants… Get in touch for more information.