HOW TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF NON-VERBAL COMMUNICATION IN TELEMARKETING
Many people think that body language doesn't affect communication on the phone because it cannot be seen.
A message is conveyed from speaker to listener by words, tone of voice and body language.
It has been proven that only 7% of the information spoken is received by the listener. Tone of voice (the way the message is communicated, intonation, inflection etc) added another 38% but the whopping percentage of the message that our listener receives through communication is from our body language.
Does it mean that we're fighting a losing battle when doing telemarketing?
Absolutely not! Here are our tips how to use body language to your advantage!
- Prepare yourself - when planning a call to a prospect, make sure you are prepared. Useful tip: Some telemarketers have a mirror attached to their computers so they can see them talking.
- Smile - We know it sounds like a typical cliché but science proves smiling helps your voice to sound friendly, warm, and receptive. Useful tip: post a note on your phone or somewhere you can see when calling: Shoulders up. Smile. Dial.
- Stand up - our telemarketers found that standing up helps them when they're delivering a good presentation or pitch to a prospect. It makes them more focused and sharp.
- Gesticulate - Imagine you are actually presenting face to face. This will help you sound as natural as if you were presenting in person!
- Use your personality - no one likes a monotone voice on the other side of the phone. This communicates that the talker is depressed, unmotivated or disinterested.
- People buy from people - at the end of the day, no matter what your product is - people buy from people! So make sure you understand the product or service and be trustworthy and you will succeed in your goal!